Today we celebrate graduations from the University of Glasgow School of Veterinary Medicine. We unfortunately do not have the records of the Veterinary graduates from 1915, however we do have a collection for the Veterinary College, so can take a glimpse into life as a Vet student 100 years ago.
The School of Veterinary Medicine originated as the Glasgow Veterinary College, founded by local practitioner James McCall in 1863. In 1915 the School was quite different to the one we know today. It was an entirely separate institution to the University, and did not come under University governance until 1945. 100 years ago the Veterinary School was located in Buccleuch Street, Garnethill, with part of its premises let as a stable and dairy. The College, whilst the main centre for veterinary education in Glasgow, was fairly small, with an intake of just 48 students at the outbreak of the First World War.
The College’s Committee Meeting Minutes for the year shed some light on the state of the College at this time. There is mention of staff handing in their resignation to make themselves available for military service, and of financial difficulties in light of reduced government funding. Unfortunately such records do not depict a great deal of what life was like for students of the College. It is noted in a meeting of June 1915 that a Roll of Honour of all graduates, students, lecturers and employees of the College serving in Her Majesty’s Forces was to be hung in the Hall; a further hint at the impact of the First World War on the College.
Due to the separation of the College and the University of Glasgow at this time, we unfortunately do not hold records for graduates from this period. We do, however, have an archive collection for the College – you may view the online catalogue here.
Congratulations to all Veterinary Medicine grads today!
Categories: Archive Services