What’s in the news – Westminster, Holyrood and Brussels:
- Access to Justice: evidence of the experiences of adults with mental health problems – Min of Justice: report summarising international research evidence on the experiences of adults with mental health problems in the justice system
- Access to Justice: evidence of the experiences of minority groups based on ethnicity, identity and sexuality – Min. of Justice: Research report reviewing evidence on the experiences of minority groups in the justice system.
- Economic indicators, May 2009 – House of Commons Research Paper 09/40 – summarises the main economic indicators currently available for the UK, along with comparisons with other major OECD countries for selected indicators. The series also includes articles on topical matters – this issue’s article is on ‘The 2009 Budget: economic and public finance forecasts’.
- Report of the Expert Group on Assessment – Dept. Children, Schools & Families : report on changes to the assessment and accountability system, including the discontinuation of statutory national Key Stage 3 tests. The report considers a range of written and oral evidence from both individuals and organisations. This includes evidence from experienced practitioners as well as from those who are primarily concerned with the theoretical aspects of assessment.
- Social indicators – House of Commons Research Paper Paper 09/37 – summarises a range of social statistics on subjects including crime, education, health and population. This issue contains a contribution from the Irish Parliament entitled ‘Immigration in Ireland: trends, profiles and effect on public services’. It also features articles on ‘The importance of being active’, ‘What happens when prices fall?’ and ‘Effect of Budget 2009 on departmental expenditure’.
- Transforming Places; Changing Lives: Taking Forward the Regeneration Framework – Dept. Communities & Local Government
- Tackling health inequalities: 10 years on – Dept. of Health: reviews developments in health inequalities over the last 10 years across government – from the publication of the Acheson report on health inequalities in November 1998 to the announcement of the post-2010 strategic review of health inequalities in November 2008. It covers developments across government on the wider social determinants of health, and the role of the NHS. It provides an assessment of developments against the Acheson report, reviews a range of key data sets covering social, economic, health and environmental indicators, and considers lessons learned and challenges for the future.
- UK international financial services – the future – HM Treasury: report reflects the view of the UK’s financial services leaders, states that the UK’s financial services sector can continue to be a world leader by working as a genuine partner of British business and emerging economies while embracing the need for global regulatory reform.
- Accuracy of contributions in parliamentary proceedings – 5th Report, Standards Procedures and Public Appointments Committee – The Committee deliberated on issues raised by the Presiding Officer in relation to the procedures governing the accuracy of contributions (SP Paper 254, Session 3, 2009).
- Evaluation of the Mandatory Drug Testing of Arrestees pilot – Findings of a process evaluation and cost effectiveness analysis of the pilot schemes in Scotland.
- Firearm Certificates Statistics, Scotland, 2008 – Statistical Bulletin – details number of firearm and shotgun certificates granted, renewed and revoked over the past decade at a police force and Scotland level.
- Poverty and income inequality in Scotland 2007/08 – presents annual estimates of the numbers living in low income households. The estimates are used to monitor progress towards UK and Scottish Government targets to reduce poverty and income inequality.
- Tobacco and Primary Medical Services (Scotland) Bill – SPICe Briefing 09/34 – provides background information on tobacco legislation, policy and statistics, before outlining the proposals in the Bill.
- Towards a mentally flourishing Scotland: policy and action plan 2009-2011 – outlines the Government’s plans for mental health improvement.
- Brussels Economic Forum – Beyond the crisis: a changing economic landscape – 14-15th May – this is an annual event, set-up in 2000, which stimulates debate on the economic challenges facing the EU.
- EU Employment Summit (Prague, 7th May) agrees on ways to tackle rising unemployment (press release) / Main messages
- Joint declaration of the Prague Eastern Partnership Summit – 7th May 2009 – Council of the European Union – Heads of State or representatives have met to bring their relationship to a new level by establishing the Eastern Partnership and have adopted this declaration.
- Monthly monitor: EU employment situation and social outlook – includes a special focus on the renewable energy sector.
- Re-use of Public Sector Information – Communication from the Commision (COM (2009) 212 final) – reviews the application of the PSI Directive (2003/98/EC) and highlights the potential for re-use of PSI information in the digital age.